In an exclusive interview, Mariah Carey says, "My heart is broken." She confirms that her mother Patricia and sister Alison passed away on the same day.

 


Mariah Carey's mother, Patricia, and sister, Alison, passed away on the same day over the weekend, PEOPLE can confirm.

"My heart is broken that I’ve lost my mother this past weekend. Tragically, my sister also passed away on the same day," the Grammy-winning singer, 55, shared in an exclusive statement to PEOPLE.

"I feel blessed that I was able to spend the last week with my mom before she passed," Mariah added. "I appreciate everyone’s love and support and ask for respect for my privacy during this impossible time."

At this time, no further details, including the causes of Patricia and Alison's deaths, have been disclosed.

Patricia, a Juilliard-trained opera singer and vocal coach, was previously married to Alfred Roy Carey. Together, they welcomed Alison, Mariah, and their son Morgan before divorcing when Mariah was just 3 years old. Despite passing on her vocal talents to Mariah, Patricia's relationship with her daughter was often complicated.

In her 2020 memoir, The Meaning of Mariah Carey, Mariah reflected on her complex relationship with her mother: "Like many aspects of my life, my journey with my mother has been full of contradictions and competing realities. It's never been only black-and-white — it's been a whole rainbow of emotions."

"Our relationship is a prickly rope of pride, pain, shame, gratitude, jealousy, admiration, and disappointment," she continued. "A complicated love tethers my heart to my mother's."



To ensure you never miss a story, subscribe to PEOPLE's free daily newsletter. It has the most recent information on celebrities and interesting human interest stories.


Mariah and her mother had their ups and downs, but they stayed in touch. When they sang a joyful rendition of "O Come All Ye Faithful/Hallelujah Chorus" as a mother-daughter duet on ABC's Mariah Carey: Merry Christmas to You in 2010, they shared a memorable moment.

Mariah wrote, "And to Pat, my mother, who, through it all, I do believe actually did the best she could," in a section of her memoir dedicated to her mother Patricia. I'll always adore you to the best of my ability."

She had a complicated relationship with her sister Alison as well. Mariah wrote in her memoir that she felt "emotionally and physically safer for me not to have any contact" with their brother Morgan or Alison at the time.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post